Season’s Greetings from Your Governor and his wife
Rita and I wish all of you season’s greetings and best wishes for the coming year. We have enjoyed meeting many of you for the first time during the past year and hope to see most of you next year.
Wallace Convention (June 15 -22, 2014)
The Wallace Convention is getting filled up but if you haven’t booked your room yet you can still phone 1-800-643-2386 for help. Go to the International website to learn more http://international.gyro.ws or www.wallacegyro.com.
Sherwood Park Gyro Guest Speaker
The Sherwood Park Club had Dr. Trent Dusang as a guest speaker the other night and I thought the message he left with us was worth sharing with all of you. Dr. Dusang specializes in Geriatrics so he knows where we are at chronologically and what is good for maintaining our health.
In summary the points he made during his talk are as follows:
1. Don’t live a sedentary life. (A sedentary life style is as bad as smoking and having a heart problem.)
2. Exercise strenuously regularly – suggested minimum 20 minutes 3 times a week.
3. Limit your alcohol intake to 2 drinks a day – 14 per week.
4. If you eat properly you don’t need vitamin supplements (Except Vitamin “D”)
5. Don’t smoke.
6. Try to perform mental exercises that force the brain to form new connections. eg learn a new language.
7. Socialize. Gyro is a great socializing organization.
8. Treat depression immediately at any age.
9. High blood pressure medication is good. High cholesterol medication (Staten’s) is only required if you have had severe heart or stroke afflictions.
10. Keep your weight close to what is generally acceptable.
Fairmont (Apr 25-27, 2014)
We have had enough interest in the informal Gyro get together in Fairmont that we will take the next step and start booking our rooms. I have booked a suite to be used as a hospitality suite (Usual one at end of old wing). Everyone coming should book a room using Reservation Group # 750309, Their Toll Free number is 1-800-663-4979.
Have you invited a friend to Gyro lately? Have you thought about what you can do for Gyro? Don’t be sedentary!
Thought of the day
Look to the future, because that’s where you’ll spend the rest of your life.
District VIII Gyro